Friday, November 11, 2011

Symmetrical Asymmetry

The shape of a sea kayak invites a symmetrical  deck design - it is the obvious choice. After all, the long hull is designed with longitudinal symmetry... and I have seen some absolutely gorgeous mirror-like deck plans.

The doodle which now is awaiting realization

Also, I would expect a symmetrical design easier to build - unless it were an intricate mosaic - but perhaps a bit less imaginative. Anyway, as I was doodling on my sketch pad trying out various ideas, my mind continued to gravitate to asymmetrical deck lay-outs.

Finally, I came up with a sketch which I liked - that is "on paper". Within an asymmetrical shape there is a quasi front-to-back inverse symmetry. "Quasi" because the cross-section of the front deck is very rounded whereas the back becomes quite flat.

The lightest cedar strips will be used for the background upon which the cocoa and light brown strips form two irregular bands which intersect in front of and behind - thereby wrapping around the cockpit. The bow as well as the stern will have a very thin dark strip along the center line. 

Great Blue Heron
The general idea: an abstraction of a heron's beak.

Night Heron
To follow up on the previously posed question why I thought that the Night Heron sea kayak might more fittingly be called Blue Heron, I am happy to introduce as evidence a picture of each... and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.


Without a doubt, two exceedingly beautiful and elegant birds!



 ...and I am certain that the boat's designer, Nick Schade, had a definite reason to name this design "Night Heron".

...perhaps the elongated feather from the nape of the Night Heron's neck provided the inspiration.



I don't want to bore you with the concept of broken symmetries but to my eyes this design would satisfy the aesthetic appeal of this idea. I say "would" with caution and some trepidation because I am really not sure yet as to whether or not I have the necessary skills (and tools) to do the job. This deck design adds a significant element of challenge.

I hope I won't mess up too many pieces but I'll take my chances.  I can already anticipate that problems of bending the wood. It will not only have to bend as seen in 2-D but there will also be significant curves in 3-D.

I will report on my efforts to persuade the strips to bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment